How you EXERCISE
Your body needs exercise that increases your heart rate, promotes muscle activity, and aids neurological integration, so that your body works as it was designed.
Excellent exercises that achieve all three are swimming or walking correctly. You should exercise at least three times a week for 30 minutes or more.
If you're well enough to be involved in a lifestyle sport like mountain biking, hiking, or kayaking, you'll receive some additional benefits. It's refreshing to be out in nature, to face the challenges, and to meet new people. It will be a great stress-reliever and you'll have friends to talk with and keep you accountable.
Here is an exercise that improves neurological balance and re-times internal communication by extending large muscle groups and their joints through full range of motion:
The Morter March (M Power March)
Here's how you do it:
1. Stand comfortably erect, alert yet relaxed.
2. Take an extended step with your left foot, keeping your back (right) foot firmly on the floor. Stretch just far enough forward with your back (right) foot on the floor.
3. As you extend your left leg, raise your right arm to about a 45-degree angle. Your left arm will automatically move back to help you balance. Stretch your left arm downward behind you at about a 45-degree angle. Your position at this point is left leg and right arm stretched forward, right leg and left arm stretched back.
4. Now, turn your head toward the side of the extended right arm, close your eyes, look up, and S-T-R-E-T-C-H! While you are in your extended position, take a deep breath and hold both your breath and your position for 5-10 seconds.
5. Exhale and repeat the exercise with the opposite leg and arm. Repeat the sequence 3-4 times (or less if you become tired).
6. Do this Morter March "workout" twice a day.
Here's an all-too-common situation. You develop low back pain and you're uncomfortable enough to go see your primary care physician. He or she tells you it's not clear what's going on and sends yo ...View Article
You've finally decided to paint your kids' bedrooms. Or your rooftop gutters are overflowing and you've decided to install a gutter protection system. And you're going to do that yourself. There ...View Article
It seems as if every few months there’s a new diet whose rules and requirements we must follow if we’re going to reach the goal of good health. The “paleo” diet provides a great example of ...View Article
What if you used to be really fit and now you're not? Or, what if you've never enjoyed the idea of exercising, exercise was never part of your world-view, but you're not feeling as good as you'd l ...View Article
We all know someone who has suffered a serious driving-related injury that had nothing to do with being involved in a motor vehicle accident. For example, turning your head suddenly and swiftly fo ...View Article
Many people have medicine chests in their bathroom, small shelving units filled with bottles of pills, capsules, and tablets. Others, instead, have first-aid and personal grooming cabinets in thei ...View Article
Newsletter Sign Up